We surf with veterans. We invite their families, coach the beginners, and we all catch waves together. that's what we do.
The Warrior surf foundation is committed to bringing warriors (and their families) together to promote mental and physical well-being by exposing them to the unique experience of surfing.
every Warrior deserves the opportunity to be an active participant and contributor to life off the battlefield.
Founded in May 2015 in Folly Beach, SC by True American combat Veterans and surfers, the WSF addresses post-combat mental health issues such as PTSD, Stress Disorders, and Survivor's Guilt. Many Warriors keep quiet about the symptoms that affect them- and their families.
In just one year, the WSF has provided services to over 90 Veterans and Active Duty Service Members through our weekend Surf Camps. Each 6 week session helps Warriors overcome anxiety with social situations, crowds, and creates non-Battlefield bonds.
The nature of war and its aftermath can be counteracted by using the ocean as a healing remedy. The cycle of post-combat inactivity is broken, and the body and brain work through residual feelings of discomfort and distress while in the water.
The Warrior Surf Foundation provides:
- An effective outdoor therapy environment
- Structured and supervised physical activity as an alternative to prescription medications
- Peer support and encouragement during surf sessions.
- Peer assistance with VA issues and ongoing benefit questions
- Assessments by our staff therapist to track improvements and areas of concern.