The Warrior surf foundation is committed to bringing Veterans and their families together to promote mental and physical well-being by exposing them to the unique experience of surfing.
Founded in May 2015, on Folly Beach, SC by American combat veterans and surfers, the WSF addresses post-service transition challenges such as Post Traumatic Stress, Moral Injury, Survivor's Guilt, and TBI.
In just over a few years, the WSF has provided services to hundreds Veterans and Active Duty Service Members through our weekend Surf Camps. Each 6 week session helps Warriors overcome anxiety with social situations, crowds, and creates non-Battlefield bonds.
The nature of war and its aftermath can be counteracted by using the ocean as a healing remedy. The cycle of post-combat inactivity is broken, and the body and brain work through residual feelings of discomfort and distress while in the water.
The Warrior Surf Foundation provides:
- An effective outdoor therapy environment
- Structured and supervised physical activity as an alternative to prescription medications
- Peer support and encouragement during surf sessions.
- Peer assistance with VA issues and ongoing benefit questions
- Assessments by our staff therapist to track improvements and areas of concern.